As a mentor
I mentor other product people. And I have these principles that I try to follow for every mentoring occasion.
- As a mentor, I only give advice when the mentee explicitly asks for it.
- As a mentor, I ask the hard questions that the mentee did not confront yet.
- As a mentor, I listen 90% of the time!
- As a mentor, I help the mentee to look beyond the surface of the challenges and to look deeper and wider.
- As a mentor, I provide a different perspective, fueled by experience.
- As a mentor, I make sure the mentee's time is well spent and valued!
- As a mentor, I make the mentee reflect their thoughts, ideas, issues, and interactions.
- As a mentor, I default to radical honesty.
Did this help you?