As a product leader, I have a clear expectation of how people in my product organization collaborate to achieve results.
Here's my product leader DNA:
- I am very technical (I have been programming for 10+ years), I ask more questions than giving answers and I have the mindset of hypothesis → test → learn. I also expect these three traits from a good product manager.
- I am a coaching leader: I coach my directs and I offer free mentoring for product managers. I also help product managers on Reddit
- I take people management very seriously: only a good product team can reach big goals, not you alone. My most important tool? Never miss the weekly one-on-one with every direct – and come prepared. See this article about how I do that.
- I lead asynchronously: This saves both sides hours and hours of meetings and headspace to think deeply. Here is my guideline for async leadership.
- Product management is about shaping great collaborations. And to make them great, the most important thing is clear expectations. A simple document that you draft together and revise regularly can be enough.
Did you like this?