SQL Tutorials and Tools for Data Informed Product Managers
To take good decisions as a product manager, you have to base them on quantitative insights. These datapoints can come from a variety of sources, such as traffic and conversion data from your web analytics tool, feedback from your user feedback tool and behavioural data.
Even if you work in a big enough organization that has dedicated data specialists, you will face situations where you need a quick analysis of raw data. Even though there are some graphical tools, you will need to master SQL to make sense of any data thrown at you.
The best resources to get started on and master this skill are in my opinion:
- SQLHabit, a practical course to master SQL for product jobs (paid)
- SQLBolt, an interactive SQL tutorial (free)
And my 3 SQL editor recommendations:
- Postico for PostgreSQL databases (Mac only, paid)
- Tableplus for SQLite/PostgreSQL/MySQL (Windows/Mac, freemium)
- DB Browser for SQLite for SQLite (Windows/Mac/Linux, Open Source)
Did this help you?