Traits of a good product manager
Watch what product managers do daily to see if they are good.
Why it matters
- Your organization is only as successful as your product managers
- It is not so easy to tell good from bad product managers
- If you have no criteria to spot good performers, you will only compare them to your vague sense of what you're doing well
- 📚 Actively learning: spending time and energy on getting new perspectives and applying them on the job
- 🗣 Empathetic communicator: engaging in open and direct communication, showing respect for others and only saying things that they would feel comfortable saying to someone's face, while also exhibiting empathy, understanding, and compassion towards others.
- 🧐 Reflective: considering their own strengths, accomplishments, and things they compare themselves to, and recognizing and acknowledging their own biases and limitations
- 😀 Positive: approaching situations with the mindset of "How interesting!" and showing kindness during chaos or crisis
- 📏 Boundary-aware: establishing balance in their work and life by setting limits and boundaries, and being flexible and open to change
- 🌍 Realistic: acknowledging and accepting the reality of a situation, rather than engaging in wishful thinking, and embracing mistakes as opportunities to learn
- 💪 Resilient: displaying patience, future-orientation, and the ability to persevere and overcome challenges
- 👀 Observant: paying attention to and caring about details about processes, people and organization
- 🙏 Humble: acknowledging that they may not always be right, and being open to learning from others
- 👷🏽♀️Responsible: taking ownership of their mistakes and apologizing when necessary
- 🎁 Giving back: considering how they can contribute and make a positive impact among their peers
- 🌟 Encouraging: considering how they can help others grow and succeed
- 🧑🎓 Intelligent, energetic, and honest: consistently demonstrating intelligence, energy, and integrity in their work.
Did this help you?